We've got a sneak preview of the amazing TV Houses featured on 2019's Channel 4 show, hosted by Kevin McCloud and airing in September.
Take a sneak peek at the Grand Designs TV Houses featured in 2019’s Grand Designs on Channel 4 airing in Autumn.
It’s 20 years since the first Grand Designers allowed us into their worlds of mud, sweat and inspiration, launching a national phenomenon. Before the new series of Grand Designs airs, we meet some of the upcoming home-building heroes.
- LOCATION Galloway, Scotland
- GRAND DESIGNERS Andy Stakes and Jeanette Hardy, 55 and 50
- PROPERTY TYPE Single-storey house
- BEDROOMS 3
- BATHROOMS 2
- SIZE 190sqm BUDGET £380,000
- PLOT COST £120,000 (with planning permission)
- DETAILED DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION DRAWINGS Andy Stakes
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER Holdgate Consulting Engineers
- PLANNING STAGE ARCHITECTS Robert Potter & Partners
Perched high on the rugged Galloway cliffs, this single-storey home offers a series of glass-fronted boxes with spectacular views over the Irish Sea. The concrete shell is wrapped in a rubberised waterproof membrane and buried in earth, minimising the building’s impact on the landscape and providing an extra layer of insulation.
The site was originally occupied by an old military listening station, which sailing enthusiasts Andy Stakes and Jeanette Hardy just happened to spot for sale while on holiday, walking their two sea-loving Newfoundland dogs, Nemo and Jess.
Image: Edward McCann Architecture and Design
- LOCATION West Suffolk
- GRAND DESIGNERS Toby and Libby Leeming, both 37
- PROPERTY TYPE Single-storey courtyard house
- BEDROOMS 4, plus 2-bed annexe
- BATHROOMS 3, plus 2 bathroom annexe
- SIZE 370sqm BUDGET £530,000 build cost
- PLOT COST £250,000
- ARCHITECT Edward McCann Architects (edwardmccann.studio)
Recovery from serious illness has been the impetus for Toby and wife Libby to seize the moment and build their own home for their young family. The concept is a horseshoe arrangement of buildings, linked by walkways, set around an ancient oak tree.